What is a book proposal?
A book proposal is a sample of the structure and description of the book. It is an important part of the sales pitch, usually for established writers. It is highly unusual for a first-time writer to sell on the strength of the proposal.
The uses of writing a book proposal
- Describes the book you want to write
- Provides facts and figures to convince others with
- Help the writer focus and organize an idea
- Help the writer become what is expected
The Proposal Structure
- A cover letter
- Title page
- 1 paragraph nutshell description of the idea
- 1 or 2 pages of overview in narrative style
- A market analysis (half a page) explaining the target audience
- Description of competing books and why your book compliments the existing books
- Biography of the writer and his experience
- Table of contents: chapters and subheadings of the book
- 1 page narritive description of each chapter listed in the table of content
- A sample chapter or two from the book
In total, about 20 to 40 pages. Always include a self addressed stamped envelope.
The questions your proposal should answer
- Why is there a need for this book? What need does it fill?
- How does it meet the needs?
- How is it different from other books?
- Why are you the best person to write this story?
- How long will it take you to write it?
- How long will the book be in the end?
- What are the merits of the book?