Mention weather with only a passing reference if characters are indoors. When characters are outdoors, weather affects their actions. For stronger effect, have weather contrast character mood rather than compliment it.
Elements of weather
- Cloudiness / blue sky
- Rain/hail/ snow
- Sun position
- Moon phase
Develop a month by month timeline of trait weather.
February: drizzly rain
March: cool mornings
Weather depends on location and season and affects several factors:
- Extreme weather brings out the best or the worst in people.
- prolonged weather brings people down.
- Heat increases anger.
- Weather affects how people dress.
- It affects how people travel.
- The more extreme the weather, the more extreme the scene.
Don’t forget the consequences of weather. If your character ran a mile through the rain, he better feel shivering cold due to his wet clothes afterwards.
Hall, R. (2014) Writing Vivid Settings.