Rewrite: reworking elements of the story to make it more immediate and dramatic. For example: adding or cutting characters. Adding or cutting scenes.
Tips on rewriting
- Don’t attempt to rewrite when you’re tired
- Don’t attempt to rewrite when you’re in a bad mood
- Put your work away for a lengthy stretch of time before rewriting to give yourself a fresh eye.
- Never submit a first draft: writing is rewriting. Not even celebrated authors are perfect on their first go.
- Read your writing out loud.